11.12.2009

Good Weird




This post is random, but so are some of the conversations I have had with Elise lately, so I thought I would post them (mainly so I can remember them):

The other day, while being down with swine flu, I was having an especially severe coughing spell. The conversation that followed went like this:

Elise: Mom, please don't do that. It hurts my ears to hear you cough like that.
Me: I know. It hurts me too. I feel like my heart is going to explode.
Elise: Then you would die.
Me: Would you miss me if I died?
Elise: Yeah - dad doesn't do my hair right.

That very same day, I accidentally "lost" one of Elise's fish down the sink drain while cleaning the bowl. (I know, I had no business trying to clean out the fish bowl while sick with swine flu). Anyway - when Elise got home, I broke the news. She was upset for a minute and then she started asking questions:

Elise: Do you think the fish is still alive swimming in the sink?
Me: I don't know. He is probably swimming around in the sewer somewhere.
Elise: What is the sewer?
Me: It's where all the dirty water goes, like the toilet water and stuff like that.
Elise: So, he's swimming around with the poop? (Giggle) He probably thinks the poop is a piece of chocolate cake.

Needless to say, she wasn't terribly broken up over the beloved fish passing through to the other side.

These are just a couple of MANY funny things Elise says. From the time she could talk (actually, even before that), she has always had that way about her. She has a very quick wit (like her father), and she is slightly weird (like her mother AND her father). One day I was telling her that she was weird, and she said, "but if I wasn't weird, I wouldn't be Elise!" And to that, I had no argument. So, instead I just said, "you are weird, but it's a good weird." Gosh, I love that kid!!


No comments: